Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A colorful deck seating area makeover: Bring on the Spring!

This past weekend, not only did we have the grand reveal of our Barshed (which was mostly my husband's brainchild), but I also unveiled my bright updated deck seating area.
To be honest, I think this is my absolute favorite home project I have done to date. Everyone I know who I showed the photos to (shared it with some friends on facebook first) raved about how bright and cheerful it was. So, without further ado, here is my:
 Updated Seating Area and Deck Space

Super bright right?



I was determined to make this space as bright and cheerful as humanly possible, since out backyard isn't the most glorious spot. I just can't wait till the spring and summertime is in full swing, so I can hang out here a lot more.

The only thing I still haven't done is put up the sunshade we have planned over the benches corner- but I'm waiting for the winter to be officially over before we go through the effort of putting that up.
Anyways, here is a basic breakdown of the deck project:

The Benches:


So, this is what the benches started out looking like:


Last spring we recovered the seats that came with the benches and made them look super cute like this:


Sadly however, with limited storage space at the time, the seats didn't last outside well. With one claw mark from a neighborhood cat walking across the seats, they were officially destroyed.  ;( I recovered them AGAIN with whatever tablecloths I could find, to look like this:
I know, not nearly as pretty...
Then with some bad weather that summer/fall, the cushions started to get mold inside and the tops started to peal. This past winter, I had to throw away the seats, as at that point there was no saving them.
So I thought to myself "How can we still have these benches used, but without the seats?" We decided to pick up some plywood sheets, cut them to size and attached them overtop of the benches. I then spray painted them the brightest color I could find- Seaside teal blue. For the 3 benches, I used 3 1/2 cans of spray paint. 


I also was on the hunt for cushions. After much research, I was dismayed by how freak'n expensive bench cushions are! One evening earlier this month I wandering around Wal-mart for some hope of finding something to make the cushions out of and I came across an end bin filled with these adorable body pillows.



*lightbulb moment* I just will use these as back cushions and it will bring in the bright colors! At first I snapped up 3 pillows (I thought "we have 3 benches, that should be enough right?) at $8.88 a piece.
After getting home and testing them out on the benches (in the dark, mind you) I noticed I really needed 1 more pillow.

Oh no! I need more pillows!

But being it was late and I was tired, I hoped for the best that I'd find another pillow the next day. Luckily, they had 1 left when I returned *phew!*



I then was on the hunt for the throw pillows- I refused to pay more than $5 a piece, which even Wal-mart didn't have that cheap in bright colors. I already had the large teal pillow (far left), but I knew I wanted a few more. After a trip to my trusty Salvation Army, I found exactly what I needed- more bright throw pillows- ranging from $2-4 each.

I just love all the color!
Savation Army finds!

Colorful DIY outdoor deck seating benches makeover pillows
Us enjoying the pillows on the benches. ;)
 Woo! Our Salvation Army is always a godsend went it comes to things like that. lol

Tire Coffee Table:

Earlier this year my car needed 2 tires replaced. Knowing that they charge you to dispose of them, I asked our mechanic to just stick them in my car, as "I'm going to use them as planters." I was determined to save money and use these tires for SOMETHING. After seeing numerous ways to use tires as furniture or planters on Pinterest, I got the idea to make it into a coffee table for the deck. We had this round piece of glass leftover from an old coffee table the hubs picked up (which I thought was hideous, but refused to get rid of the glass portion as "we can at least use that.") We first used the glass in our 80s party decor (putting it over our round dining room table with Christmas lights under it) however it was slightly too small to keep on our dining room table all the time. 
painting tire table
spray painting the tires (they rested on the spare bench we had- that was in the worst shape of the bunch).
So after spray-painting the tires with my favorite Key Lime green/yellow color spray paint (which I painted our kitchen breakfast nook chairs with), I stuck the glass on top of the tire stack and tada- instant table! Eventually I might put something inside the tires- Lights, sparkle, flowers or something. But for now, it works.
I finished off the table with some Dollar store bright finds.

 Rest of the Deck:



The rest of the deck includes our classic patio furniture with umbrella. I set the table with some cheerful place settings, to enjoy some soup and bread eventually. 




And for the little nook left on the deck, I setup 2 of my soda fountain chairs on either side of a spare tv table I have (I'm debating over painting it a bright color as well eventually).




Overall, I just love how the bench corner turned out. Each day that I can't hang out here, I get antsy (since its been quite cold everday since I set it up on Saturday). Even though I have to bring all the pillows indoors during inclimant weather, I still think it will be much more lasting as a fun outdoor space, than previous attempts. lol
View from the steps going up to the deck
Did I mention how lovely a day it was on Saturday?

Here is some of the pricing for the project. All the candles, flowers, etc. I got from the Dollar Store (except the green lantern- which I got on sale for $5 from Target last end of summertime):



Even at night, the space is fun- I set up mason jars with LED tea lights all around the deck, besides the actual candles. I just can't wait to hangout here more!


lighting the way.

It wasn't that difficult of a project, and if you have the right materials, I bet ya'll could do it too!





Have a great day everyone and with tomorrow being the first day of Spring I have my *fingers crossed* the weather gets warmer!
-M


37 comments:

  1. I love this! I'm a big fan of bright colors, especially when it comes to exterior decor. They're so lively and fun. And that tire table is such a great idea. I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so nice! I love all the bright, fun colors and your tire table is such a great idea!!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all the great colors so fun looks great for a great bunch
    come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by. Check you're blog out now too!

      Delete
  4. what a totally awesome space! i looove the colors, and the lounging that clearly happens on those benches and the TIRE table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! It is actually quite a comfortable lounge spot. lol. I love how the tire table turned out, to be honest!

      Delete
  5. You've really done a lot to make the most of a small area, I totally makes me want to come over and enjoy all that color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I can't wait for the spring/summer to be in full swing!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! I love those rainbow zebra cushions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who knew that Wal-mart pillows would be so cute!?

      Delete
  7. Stopping by from the DIY Sunday Showcase and LOVING this project! I've been wanting to spruce up my screened porch but completely lacked inspiration,,,until now! The bright colors are so cheerful. Your deck looks like a place I'd love to spend all summer on! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Glad you found me from the showcase. Believe me, I can't wait for the summer either.

      Delete
  8. Love the colors and the tire coffee table is totally awesome! Thanks for linking up at the Sunday Showcase Party. I've pinned it to our DIY Sunday Showcase Board as well!
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Link Parties are always such fun. Thanks for stopping by. ;)

      Delete
  9. This is awesome! I love how much you DIY-ed in this space. :) Also, congrats because you are featured on this week's Do Tell Tuesday link party and have been pinned to our features board! Feel free to grab a button and link up this week too. :) http://www.vintagezest.com/2014/03/do-tell-tuesday-16-with-features-co-host.html

    Diane @ Vintage Zest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I will certainly get your button!

      Delete
  10. This is soo cute, bright and fun!! Thanks for sharing this on DIY Sunday Showcase!! I'm pinning this one!!

    Shelly
    minettesmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything! It all looks so festive, happy and welcoming. Great job!

    Thanks for joining the Say G'day Saturday link up. I've just pinned this and shared on Google+.

    Hope you can join in again this weekend!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had fun joining the link up. I'll have to join up next week.

      Delete
  12. This is fabulous! One question... did you have to clean/prep the tires before painting? What brand/type of paint did you use?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as cleaning- I just made sure the tires were free of rocks/dirt/grass stuck in between (as good as I could) and made sure the tires were dry. For paint-I used Rustoleum Outdoor Lime Green spray paint. The table, though outdoors, spends most time under a sunshade and the glass covers the top of the tires- so it hasn't shown much weathering (unlike my firepit chairs which are peeling already)- that being said- You could put a clear coat of outdoor sealent if you are afraid of weathering.
      So far, the table has done great outside (I have left it outside since April, and it is doing fine- throughout many rainy days). ;)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. *since March* (not april. lol)

      Delete
  13. I really liked the idea of ​​the table with the tires :) I'd love to understand from you what you used to catch the glass for tires to be stable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I don't have anything- the glass just sits on top, but the rubber tires holds it pretty tight- it doesn't move at all. I just don't have people sit on it. It's used more as an end table/coffee table, so I don't ever have very heavy things on it, though I have had many plates of food during our 4th of July bbq and it never once budged. I think the rubber of the tires, keeps it stuck.

      Delete
    2. *plates, cups and trays of buffet items*

      Delete
  14. I can picture some battery operated Christmas lights (the clear ones) inside the tire table. That would make for some beautiful up-lighting in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. how do you keep tires together?

    ReplyDelete
  16. love it,but that glass topped table and the thing with castors on top wouldn't last 2 seconds in Oklahoma,unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi - Can I use the Picture of your great table of tires? I will of course link directly to your site form the pic. I am writing for a danish website for houseowners (www.bolius.dk), and right now I am working on an article about recyceling tires – and I stumpled over your fantastic blog.

    Best, Rikke

    Best, Rikke

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Morgaine! Your deck is too cute! This is Pili from the blog My Sweet Things and I'm planning to do a round up post about recycling tires and liked what you did so much! I wanted to ask you permission to use one photo and a link back to your blog if that's ok.
    Thanks, enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some comment love all!